Commuting to work every morning is one of the most boring activities for most people because of the crazy traffic experienced in most cities and even small towns.
However, unlike vehicles, heavy duty scooters for adults can save you all that pain by getting you to work in half the time and even less expenditure.
The best adult scooter is not only convenient and fast but also really fun to ride because you can go fast and don’t have to stop because of traffic.
An adult scooter is also very environmental friendly because it doesn’t emit carbon gases and it requires very little maintenance unlike cars and motor bikes.
What’s An Adult Scooter?
An adult scooter is a small vehicle with wheels, handlebar and deck.
Scooters are ideal for elderly people and disable who want to move from one place to another easily but they can also be used by everybody as a fun and faster mode of transport.
Scooters come in a variety of styles and designs depending on your needs ranging from kick scooters that are propelled with your own body to electric scooters that use a motor and fuel to run.
The main advantages of scooters are that they are fun to ride and you can take them anywhere because they are foldable for storage.
Types Of Scooters For Adults.
These are scooters that have a motor and rechargeable battery and they are very fast and powerful.
- Two Wheel Scooters.
Also known as kick scooters, this type is propelled forward by kicking with your feet and they rely on your strength to keep moving.
- Three/Four Wheel Scooters.
Three and four wheel scooter are most used by the disabled, elderly and people suffering from injuries or operation for mobility purposes around the home and outside.
- Micro-Luggage Scooters.
This type has a deck where you can place your luggage as you move across the airport or any other place.
Safety Recommendations for Adults Scooter.
As easy as it may seem, riding a heavy duty folding mobility scooter or any other scooter can land you in a lot of trouble if you don’t know how to ride it properly.
Apart from a motorcycle dealer, you should get training from reputable trainers such as Motorcycle Safety Foundation or get scooter safety tips from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Website.
If you are new to riding scooters for grown-ups, here are some other safety measures you should take;
- Practice for a long time on less risky areas at a low speed before taking up main roads and highways.
- Be as Visible, choose a colorful bike and wear brightly colored clothing as most drivers who have hit a scooter rider say they didn’t it coming. If it’s a bit dark or foggy you should always have your lights on, or use directional signals.
- Watch for Debris as things like sand, wet leaves, or pebbles can make the bike slide and fall.
- Avoid Riding in bad Weather and rough terrain potholes, bumps and too much mud can upset the balance of a bike rider. However, if you can avoid them, be sure to move very slowly and make good use of the brakes. Avoid railroad tracks and shiny surfaces by maneuvering smoothly away from them,
- Protective Gear. Unlike vehicles and motorbikes, a scooter leaves your body very unprotected so you have to protect yourself with the right attire. Be sure to wear warm bright-colored clothes because of the wind, helmet and of course comfortable shoes. You can wear a heavy leather jacket with full pants, gloves and over-the-ankle footwear.
- Be sure to protect your eyes from flying insects and debris kicked up by vehicles and the wind. You can wear a full-face helmet or eye glasses to keep your eyes and face safe.
- Dress warm. Though scooters don’t go as fast as modern motorbikes, they still go pretty fast and expose your body to a lot of wind and chills. You should therefore protect your chest and the entire body by wearing something warm like a jacket and wearing long trousers and thick socks.
- Just like any other machine, the best folding mobility scooter should be maintained or serviced regularly to keep them performing reliably. Luckily, maintenance for scooters is not as complicated or expensive as that or motor vehicles and you can do most of it on your own using the user’s manual.
Buying Guide For The Best Heavy Duty Scooters For Adults.
When shopping for heavy duty scooters for adults, one should ask themselves questions like, how easy is it to carry the scooter? How fast is it? And how comfortable is it to push around?
Here are some of the features you should look at when buying a scooter for large person;
- Wheel size
Some people would argue that the size of the wheel doesn’t matter as long as the scooter is able to move swiftly but that is not the case.
Wheel size is a very important aspect to consider because they determine comfort, maneuverability and portability.
The best mobility scooter for off road should have large wheels because they are great for rough terrain and they have better shock absorption and therefore they roll much more safely over objects and stones.
- Deck Size
Most of the time, the deck size is directly proportional to the wheel size.
The best heavy duty mobility scooter should have a larger deck is obviously more comfortable, easier to step on and off and of course ease of use because you can move your feet easily.
Unfortunately a larger deck also means more weight and more effort to push forward and slow down.
- Deck Height
Deck height in heavy duty electric scooters adults is the distance between the deck and the ground.
The closer the deck is to the ground, the more comfortable you will be because of stability.
Unfortunately, it is hard for most companies to make a very low deck so you can only find those types at high-end markets and pay more.
- Extra Features
The best thing about large mobility scooters is that they are powered by you so you get to control everything.
However, some scooters come with added features just to make it safer and more fun for the rider.
Such features include handbrakes, suspension and lights that obviously make the scooter heavier and more expensive but they really are cool.
- Weight Capacity
Most heavy duty scooters for adults have a weight capacity of 250lbs. so they should not be operated by someone who weighs more than that.
Be sure to look for a 500 lb capacity scooter if you are too heavy so you don’t crash and destroy the deck and the wheels with too much weight.
- Frame Construction
A scooter takes quite a beating especially if you pass through rough road. The best scooter for adults must therefore be well made with high-quality materials so that it’s durable and strong.
Here Are The Best Heavy Duty Mobility Scooters .
1. Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel 300lbs
The Drive Medical Scout Transportable Scooter For Heavy People is one of the most compact and lightweight scooters for elderly and disabled and it can be disassembled easily into five manageable pieces so it’s very portable.
This superior 3 wheel electric scooter for adults is colorful, customizable and it’s designed to navigate easily indoors.
- Quick-connect battery pack
- Delta-shaped steering handle
- Interchangeable color through panels for both red and blue
- Weight capacity
- Maximum speed of 4.25 miles per hour
- Maximum range of 9 miles
- Large plastic carry basket
- Flat-free, non-marking tires
- It is a very comfortable scooter thanks to the padded and adjustable armrests and swivel seat with fold down backrest
- It is easy to control thanks to the ergonomic throttle control
- You can customize it to the color you want
- It’s easy to disassemble for storage or travel
- It’s very stable and will not tip over when turning
- The wheels are small and low so it’s not good for snow or uneven terrain.
2. BUZZAROUND EX Extreme 4-Wheel Heavy Duty Travel Scooter 330lbs
The BUZZAROUND EX Extreme Heavy Duty Travel Scooter is an impressive piece of machinery that is compact and lightweight but it comes with all the features and benefits of a full-size scooter.
This 4-wheel ride is furnished with 2UI batteries which are the best and largest batteries in this category meaning it’s able to operate for up to 18 miles.
- Ultra-bright LED headlight and taillight
- 330 pounds weight capacity
- Large 9inch tires
- Comfort suspension springs for smooth ride
- Red and blue shroud panels for decoration and protection from scratches
- It’s a very stable ride with 4 wheels and it can’t tip over even if you speed
- It has ample ground clearance of 4 inches
- The large tires are great for any terrain
- You can ride even at night because of the headlights
- It has a high top speed of 5mph
- It is heavy and difficult to turn in small home spaces.
3. Xootr Adult Kick Scooter 800+lbs
Xootr Adult Kick Scooter is without a doubt the best kick scooter for adults in the market handling a weight of up to 800 pounds.
This ride was designed by people who make race cars and it therefore comes with ultra-glide polyurethane tires that run on friction-less bearings to give you the lowest resistance and a very smooth ride.
- Wide and long decks meant for adult feet to stand beside each other
- Hand-brake and rear-fender brake
- Assembled by hand in the usa
- It’s easy to fold and store or travel
- It’s easy to ride and you can stop at any time
- The handle bar can accommodate people of all sizes and heights because its adjustable
- It’s very affordable and fun to ride
- The handle bar is too narrow
4. Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel
Our second Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter is similar to the first one but with 4 wheels instead of three.
This razor scooter for adults is fantastic for improving mobility, bathroom safety and lifestyle in old and disabled people who have trouble walking.
- Weight capacity
- Colorful customizable exterior with interchangeable color panels
- Quick connect battery pack
- Delta-shaped steering handle for effortless operation
- Its compact, lightweight and easy to disassemble into 5 pieces for storage and travel
- It’s very stable
- It’s easy to ride and control even with limited dexterity
- It has a protective layer in case of scuffs and scratches
- It’s very comfortable thanks to the well-padded swivel seat with armrests and backrest
- This scooter has a very low ground clearance f 2.5 inches so it’s hard to jump over bumps and other obstacles
5. KneeRover All Terrain Heavy Duty Steerable Knee Scooter 350lbs.
As the name suggests, this KneeRover All Terrain Heavy Duty Steerable Knee Scooter is perfect for navigating on any terrain at home or away with ease thanks to the 12inch pneumatic tires.
The scooter is a great alternative to crutches for patients who are recovering from knee or leg injury or operation so they can still live their lives well.
- Fully adjustable knee platform and handle bar
- Heavy duty double bar construction for strength and durability
- Adjustable locking brakes
- Ergonomic rubber handgrips for comfort
- Detachable storage basket
- It’s very easy to fold for storage and transport
- It’s very affordable
- Its stable and easy to steer
- You can adjust the handle bars height to suit people between 5 and 65 inches
- The turn radius is not great and there is a big possibility of tipping over.
6. Glion Dolly Foldable Lightweight Adult Electric Scooter.
Whoever said that standup electric scooter for handicapped adults are just for fun had obviously not seen this Glion Dolly Electric Scooter that has a speed range of 15 miles an hour and it can go for 15 miles on a full charge.
It is among the best electric scooter for handicapped because it has a simple design powered by a 36v 6.6ah lithium ion battery and a potent 250-watt brushless motor.
- Crafted from air-crafted aluminum for durability and to make it light
- Powder coated to resist corrosion
- 8-inch tires designed to never go flat
- Antilock electronic brake
- Twist-grip accelerator on the right
- Twist-grip brake on the left
- Pedestrian bell
- Vertical self-standing feature for travel and storage
- Braking is smooth and easy
- You can keep track of the battery thanks to battery indicator
- It’s a simple, clean and quiet scooter
- It goes very fast and for a long time
- It weighs only 28 pounds
- Most people think it’s too expensive and not worth that cost.
Though it can be really exciting to ride heavy duty scooters for adults especially when they are new; you should take your time to first get used to it by riding slowly and learning everything about the scooter.