Dr. Kenneth Cooper inspired the reinvention of a treadmill for heavy person by demonstrating the healthy benefits of aerobic exercises in the 1960s.
Up until then, this ancient device was best known for taming defiant inmates in the United States and Britain.
Today, treadmills are ubiquitous components in our gyms as well as homes.
And they come in all shapes and sizes.
For the plus-size group, we recommend the treadmills for heavy guys.
These have improved shock absorption properties, a wider belt, and are reinforced to support taller and heavier guys.
And come in handy when you want to get into top shape!
What’s A Treadmill?
It has a moving belt, a motor, shock absorbers, and a control panel…among other convenience features.
Best rated treadmills can hit speeds as high as 12 mph. And incline by more than 10 percent.
Treadmills are versatile- you can use your heavy duty treadmill at home although some of the highest rated treadmills are found in commercial gym facilities.
Benefits of Running on a Treadmill To Heavy People.
Of course, you can run outdoors. However, exercising on a treadmill has some distinct benefits:
- Treadmills have a softer running surface so you’re less likely to get injured.
- You don’t have to worry about the weather or polluted air. You do it indoors, and in familiar, safe surroundings.
- You are in control of everything including the duration and the intensity of your workouts.
- There are some bonuses. For example, you can switch on your telly and before you know it, you will have conquered huge distances.
- Most treadmills for heavy people have an incline setting which allows you to set up a consistent “uphill” training – when you need. You can’t do this with outdoor running.
- A treadmill for fat guys accurately tracks important data including the heart rate, distance covered, and calories burned.
What To Look Out For When Buying The Best Treadmill For Heavy Person.
With rising demand, treadmills for heavy guys are getting more and more sophisticated. And so to be on the safe side, you need to know what makes or breaks a treadmill for obese person.
Here is what to look out for in a treadmill for large person
Obviously you are looking for a machine which will fully support your bigger frame so you need to check its capacity.
For instance, if I am about 450 lbs., I would go for a treadmill 450 lb. capacity
- Belt Size
Make sure you select a treadmill with a roomy belt size.
Please note that the least belt size for running is 48” long x 16” wide.
If you are a speedster, get a treadmill that can hit 10 mph or more.
An incline enables you to work specific muscles and burn more calories.
As a general rule, any incline from 10 percent going upwards will serve well.
Some treadmills have a decline feature and better simulate various outdoor running conditions.
- Bonus Features
Convenience features such as a cooler, MP3/iPod compatibility, and cup holders enhance the usability of a treadmill.
Its running bed should reduce impact, feel firm, and also stable when working out.
This should be accessible and simple to navigate
Best Treadmill For Home Use & And Gym Use.
If you are planning to buy the best treadmill for home, then this section is for you.
1. LifeSpan TR1200i Folding Treadmill For Big Guys 300Lbs.
This Lifespan TR1200i Folding 2.5 Hp. Folding Treadmill comes with a spacious 20 x 56-inch running surface and is a favourite for many- including fat guys within the 300 lbs. range.
Then, its deck system is optimized with more shock absorbers and is more pliable making it very supportive for bigger guys…
Best of all, this big treadmill is a technological marvel…Yes, I know modern day treadmills have really improved technologically but this is a cut above its competition.
Imagine having a machine which allows you to transfer your training data to your computer via a USB flash drive?
The USB port on the multi-coloured LCD console allows you to upload data to your computer and get to review it later on your laptop or smartphone.
The manufacturer has also loaded a total of 21 simple exercise programs just to boost your get fit efforts including cardios, weight loss, and physical health exercises.
It also puts your safety first with its smart Intelli-Guard which automatically halts the belt as soon as it senses that you’ve stepped away from the deck.
- Heavy duty
- 5 HP motor
- 20″ x 56″ walking belt
- 15 adjustable inclines.
- 21 trainer programs
- Bluetooth connectivity.
- Capacity: 300 lbs.
- USB connectivity
- Since it folds, it’s very easy to store
- Its assembly is super easy
- You can upload your training data to a computer or smartphone
- It’s well-constructed and sure to withstand intensive exercise
- It’s one of the few heavy-duty treadmills that run very quiet.
- Its speed control doesn’t work well.
- The price seems a bit high
High-tech and with one of the largest running decks, this is undoubtedly one of the best treadmill for 300 lbs. person.
And it’s an accomplished performer.
2. Exerpeutic TF1000 Ultra High Capacity Electric Treadmill 400 Pound Weight Capacity.
Walking is one of the best workouts for beginners. It’s safe and engages all your crucial muscles from your upper body, core, and the lower body.
Now, it’s not uncommon to find even lavish walking treadmills unable to incline. Yet using an incline increases calorie burning when sweating it out on a treadmill.
So we were happy to finally meet a treadmill for big people with a fantastic incline. It has 2 pre-set manually controlled inclines (3% and 6%) and they both adjust easily – Exerpeutic TF1000 Ultra High Capacity Electric Treadmill.
Tall guys will love it’s perfectly sized handrails…not forgetting that some controls are on the 18-inch long safety handles handles meaning it’s not only safer but also easier to operate.
The deck has lots of real estate and provides enough clearance for your legs even when moving at full stride.
Also notable is the 1.5-horsepower high-torque motor which powers this electric walking treadmill to reach impressive walking speeds of up to 4 mph.
The belt is 20-inch-wide and within the range expected for obese runners.
- 1.5-Hp motor
- Adjustable speed: maximum 4 mph
- 20-inch-wide belt
- 18-inch safety handles
- Large LCD display
- Capacity: 400 pounds
- Folding frame
- Heavy duty treadmill- feels firm and very stable when being used.
- The incline is very helpful when walking
- The motor comes with a massive 5-year warranty
- Its lightweight and considering it also folds, highly portable
- The console is easy to navigate
- Shorter people may find it a bit uncomfortable.
- The console lacks workout programs
This treadmill 400 pound weight capacity is resilient, comfortable and one of the safest walking treadmills on the market.
It will help improve your heart health, circulation, bone density, mood, and more.
3. Sole Fitness F65 Folding Treadmill 350 Pound Weight Capacity.
Veterans will want a treadmill for heavy person that can match their pace and drive.
With a mighty 3.25 HP motor , speeds of up to 12-mph., and an incline of up to 15% , this Sole Fitness F65 Folding Treadmill is perhaps one of the best in the treadmill 350 pound weight capacity its affordability notwithstanding.
Whether you want to walk or run, this gives you plenty of exercise options with its 6 pre-loaded workout programs.
You can also motivate yourself to workout longer by loading and listening to your favorite music from the built-in MP3 sound system.
And the cooling fans help you remain comfortable all through as you battle your way to shape.
As expected, the running surface is an expansive 20×60” while the 7.5-inch LCD display keeps you updated of performance.
In summary, this adopts and even improves the greatest features of the best treadmill for overweight runners
- HP (continuous duty) motor
- speeds: maximum 12 MPH
- Maximum incline: 15%
- two-ply belt
- 10 workout programs
- cooling fans
- 7.5-inch LCD display
- running surface: 20 x 60 inches (W x D)
- 350-pound weight limit
- 2.5-inch rollers
- This treadmill is super sturdy and resilient
- It’s easy to operate, fold and unfold.
- You can play your best music through its MP3 sound system
- The built-in cooler fans make you feel more comfortable.
- The deck is quite wide and long –perfect for big users.
- It’s heavier than even some treadmills with 400 lb weight capacity
- Its assembly is a bit cumbersome
By adopting and in some cases improving the best features of the best quality treadmill for home use, this should bring you to the next level.
And it keeps up with your pace.
4. NordicTrack T 6.5 S Treadmill for 300 lbs Person.
This NordicTrack T6.5S treadmill has a solid deck and is dedicated to users weighing about 300 lbs.……..most have so far reported being thoroughly impressed with its results whether running, walking or jogging.
It has superior shock absorption with its flexselect cushioning system helping to reduce the impact on your feet and joints by a whopping 25%!
The thing we liked most is that you can increase/decrease the firmness of the system’s suspension cells if you’re not satisfied with its performance.
You can similarly increase the intensity of your workout by adjusting its incline by upto 10 % and since the incline is digital, it adjusts easily.
Of course, this helps to target specific muscle groupings…
You will also be happy to ramp up your routine using the pre-loaded 20 workout programs.
The unique thing about them is that they’ve been designed by a fitness expert and are similar to classic gym workouts.
The belt is trodden and roomy at 20″X55″ plus you can keep yourself motivated with some nice, cool music from the iPod/MP3 player console sound system.
And it works with iFit.
- Digital incline (maximum 10 percent)
- 20 built-in workouts
- Motor: 2.6 HP
- Capacity: 300 lbs.
- Maximum speed: 10 Mph
- iPod / MP3 compatible
- 20″X 55″ tread belt
- It has an extremely solid Incline (incline 10 degrees)
- The control panel track all essential data so you can follow everything.
- It comes with 20 cool, gym- pre-set workouts
- Its running deck is Spacious enough
- It works with iFit
- Lacks cooling fans
- The motor runs a bit louder
With a digital incline, a roomy trodden belt, flexselect cushioning system, and a robust motor, this is among the best treadmill for over 300 pounds
It keeps you pumped up for top results
5. Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill 250lbs
If you are looking for an inexpensive but value-packed treadmill, then this could be it.
Built to serve users averaging 250 lbs., this Confidence Power Plus Motorized Electric Treadmill is extraordinary with walking and light jogging training.
If you live in a small space, you’ll find it convenient due to its smaller footprint not to mention that it folds so if need be, you can even fit under your bed.
Indeed, it’s one of the smallest among our 5 contenders in the best treadmill for big guys group.
Well, it doesn’t have the largest running space and it’s understandable since it’s more of a walking/jogging treadmill.
Interestingly, while the deck lacks cushioning, it still manages to absorb significant running shock…perhaps due to its internal engineering.
Again, it’s a budget option and you can’t expect it to have some of the advanced features.
However, it has tried to accommodate everything that you might need for better results..
For example, instead of an incline, it has a slightly slanted design and you will enjoy some sort of ‘incline’
The 1.5 HP motor works it to speeds of up to 6.2 MPH …again, not the most powerful but fantastic for joggers/walkers.
- Capacity: 250 lbs
- Motor: 1.5 HP
- Maximum speed: 6.2 MPH
- Multi-function LED display
- Folding frame
- This comes at a budget price
- It comes almost fully assembled
- It’s so light – anybody can move it around
- It doesn’t take too much floor space
- The speeds are easily adjustable- you don’t have to stop.
- It has some slight noise
This is a compact and a budget walking/jogging treadmill for guys within the 250 lbs. range.
If you’re in this category, gear up for a superb performance.
To get fitter and healthier, larger people should consider investing in a treadmill for heavy person.
These are specially designed with bigger decks and improved shock absorption properties.
And even though they may cost more, they pay back big in the long run.
Ergonomics, technology, cushioning, display, and flexibility are just some of the features that can make or break a treadmill for heavy person.
And with more high weight capacity treadmills emerging in the market, you should be able to get something for your budget.
And get into top shape!