Fibromyalgia treatment with whole-body vibration therapy seems to have something going for it.
Fibromyalgia is a disease state that manifests itself in the musculoskeletal system (muscles and tendons) and is characterized by chronic, scattered pains and muscle stiffness all over the body.
As a general rule, fibromyalgia is a non-joint related syndrome characterized by muscle pain and pressure sores all over the body. Scientific results indicate that a standard exercise program supplemented with whole-body vibration can safely reduce pain and fatigue, major symptoms of fibromyalgia.
This is especially the case in the neck and shoulder girdle, low back and pelvic girdle, and the limbs. Read on to understand the correlation between fibro and therapy.
Table of Contents
Fibromyalgia treatment with whole-body vibration therapy: Introduction
Typically, there is increased pressure pain sensitivity at several specific points.
These sore spots, known as tender points, are sometimes attributed to localized increased tension states of muscles and tendons.
Symptoms of fibromyalgia
In addition, there are several side effects of fibromyalgia, such as:
- Sensitivity to heat and temperature changes
- Sleep disorders
- Morning stiffness
- Anxiety and chronic stress
- Chronic headaches
- Impaired intestinal transit
- General fatigue and lethargy
It is also characteristic that no abnormalities can be detected on X-ray examinations and/or blood tests if the syndrome occurs without any underlying cause.
Causes of fibromyalgia
The causes of fibromyalgia syndrome are not known to date.
The following potential causes have all been studied, but a definitive cause could not be found to date:
- a deregulated immune system,
- changes in connective tissue structure,
- a shortage of oxygen in the muscles,
- a disturbance in the metabolism of certain substances that have an effect on the blood vessels and nervous system,
- as well as functional disorders, and
- the modulation system of pain.
Effects of the vibratory plate on fibromyalgia
Several studies examined how effective a traditional exercise program supplemented with whole-body vibration is in improving health, enhancing physical functioning, and alleviating the major symptoms of fibromyalgia.
One also assessed pain, fatigue, stiffness, and depression criteria.
Scientific results indicate that a standard exercise program supplemented with whole-body vibration can safely reduce pain and fatigue.
A standard program alone, does not improve pain and fatigue.
And since fibromyalgia is a relatively common non-joint related syndrome characterized by muscle pain and pressure sores all over the body, it is clear that a vibration plate is absolutely welcome to be able to keep moving and exercising with less pain!
Other tips and facts to help alleviate fibromyalgia
- Consume black bean soup/broth as a natural treatment for reducing stiffness, muscle and joint pain, arthritis, or fibromyalgia.
- A scientific study shows the importance of good blood levels in terms of vitamin D. Individuals with the extra vitamin D appear to experience significantly less pain and fatigue. Discuss this with your doctor before purchasing a vitamin D supplement.
- Regular exercise, practicing Tai chi, or doing yoga provides marked improvement.
- According to other research, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, a treatment method in which 100% oxygen is breathed into a pressurized cabin, does much to eliminate all pain.
- Another study found that regular body vibration on a vibration plate markedly reduced the unwanted symptoms of fibromyalgia and provided a better quality of life.
- According to research, cognitive therapy appears to work better than anti-inflammatory drugs for chronic pains due to osteoarthritis or fibromyalgia. It has to do with how the brain interprets the signal from the affected joint and how it anticipates pain.
- Therapies such as mindfulness, among others, can train the brain not to expect pain signals, making the pain less intense.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs have many side effects and often worsen the situation.
Fibromyalgia treatment with whole-body vibration therapy: Conclusion
In itself, whole-body vibration treatment is beneficial as it assists body movement and can safely reduce pain and fatigue.
While it won’t provide a cure for fybromyalgia, it will go a long way to alleviate major symptoms, such as pain and fatigue.
Interesting to know: Vibration therapy is also used as part of the treatment of arteriosclerosis, as discussed in our other article Arteriosclerosis treatment with vibration platform: Great insights
Lastly, before heading out to buy a vibration plate, make sure to check our helpful buying guide: What should I look for when buying a vibration plate? Buying guide