This article explains how to keep your digestive system healthy with several practical techniques.
There are many techniques to have good intestinal function, but not all these techniques suit everyone.
Therefore, you must first analyze the available techniques in order to choose the method that best suits you.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to keep your digestive system healthy: Introduction
- 2 Regular physical activity is required
- 3 The importance of eating well and with pleasure
- 4 The proper use of food supplements
- 5 Hot water techniques
- 6 Learn to relax with belly breathing
- 7 The importance of good sleep
- 8 Bonus: 26 Tips to help you live a more peaceful life
- 9 How to keep your digestive system healthy: Conclusion
How to keep your digestive system healthy: Introduction
The techniques proposed to have good intestinal function are various and varied.
Some people prefer to modify their diet, while others impose a frugality, drink only infusions, or adopt specific breathing exercises.
In any case, there is more than one technique to help you have good intestinal function.
This article will introduce you to the major techniques used by many people.
Regular physical activity is required
Just as we are advised to laugh, everyone should regularly practice physical exercise.
First and foremost, physical exercise should be a recreation, meaning the activity gives you pleasure and allows you to reconnect intimately with your body.
Consider physical activities such as:
- Yoga, with its specific and diaphragmatic breathing exercises
All these movements act on our intestines and promote a better evacuation of our fecal matter.
In fact, when we breathe naturally, our diaphragmatic muscle, which separates the thorax (chest) and the abdomen, descends, compressing the sub-diaphragmatic organs.
Therefore, it will promote a compression of the intestines and facilitate defecation.
The importance of eating well and with pleasure
First, remember that chewing with full awareness is essential to eating well.
Then, as far as fibrous foods are concerned, they can be beneficial if you tend to be constipated, but they should be avoided if you have colic.
Many people ask themselves:
Should I drink or not drink during meals?
It is recommended to avoid taking too much liquid with meals, so depending on what you eat, you may or may not want to drink.
For example, suppose you eat starchy foods or cereals during a meal. In that case, you will consume more fluid than if you eat vegetables or fruit, which are already high in water content.
Eating well is based on three conditions: have fun, laugh, and be passionate! Indeed, you should eat with pleasure what you have prepared with love.
Do not hesitate to sprinkle your meals with these three elements to digest well, avoid inconveniences such as bloating and gas, and help a better daily evacuation.
Avoid eating if you are feeling angry or if you are overly worried. It’s essential to make peace with yourself and your loved ones before you sit down to eat and to avoid angry discussions.
The proper use of food supplements
As its name indicates, food supplements merely complement your diet. Ideally, your diet should be nutritious, local, and as raw as possible.
Indeed, raw food will provide you with vitamins, trace elements, minerals, and enzymes that are missing when you only eat cooked food.
But as we all know, we do not live in an ideal world favorable to our vital, mental, and spiritual development. Therefore, some help can compensate for specific deficiencies.
Beware: Food supplements can only be recommended following a vitality assessment and a complete and detailed questionnaire with a health professional.
Hot water techniques
Did you know that we have fundamental organs that are hot organs? For example, the liver is the hottest organ in our body.
When the outside temperature drops, our liver does not appreciate it and prioritizes antitoxic function over blood filtration.
The liver filters about 600 gallons of blood per 24 hours, thus producing a waste product: bile, which has fundamental functions for the digestive system.
Suppose this blood filtration in the liver does not occur because of the cold outside. In that case, the blood will take a parallel route (to be filtered), i.e., the respiratory route. When the respiratory system takes charge of this blood filtration, it allows bacteria implantation.
Therefore, to restart your liver and its bile production needed for digestion, you can try warming up your liver:
- You can put a hot water bottle on the organ,
- take a full-body hot bath, or
- a hot foot bath at night before bed.
This will directly or indirectly warm the blood and the liver where the blood passes through.
To aid defecation, you can also practice the rectal shower, a helpful technique for lazy bowel movements.
Learn to relax with belly breathing
Belly breathing is recommended for:
- People who are naturally stressed by poor management of the stress of daily life.
- People whose work causes permanent tension resulting in digestive problems accompanied by bloating and gas or spasmodic pain.
In the evening, when you come home from work, washing your hands thoroughly and getting rid of tight clothes that block diaphragmatic breathing is recommended.
Then, lie down on the floor with a small cushion under your neck and practice belly breaths.
Example of a belly breathing exercise: Calming and stress-reducing
During this exercise, the belly will inflate and deflate at the rhythm of the ventilations:
- First, place a hand on your belly
- Then, as you inhale, inflate your belly like a balloon
- As you exhale, slowly exhale the air and lower your belly.
This technique can be practiced lying down, standing up, in a stressful situation during the day, before or after eating to better digest, and in the evening to help you fall asleep.
The importance of good sleep
Ensure you get a good night’s sleep naturally, without medication. Your sleep must be recuperative, allowing self-healing, tissue repair, and the activity of your immune system.
Good to know: A night shortened by four hours of sleep decreases the immune system by 30%.
Before going to sleep, avoid putting yourself under physical and/or psychological stress that generates adrenaline and cortisol secretion.
This secretion is helpful in the short term to wake up in the morning and get active.
However, in the long term, it leads to the synthesis of free radicals that promote premature aging, oxidation, and a decline in our immune system.
Therefore, we must manage our stress correctly and not be alarmed by useless or futile things.
Bonus: 26 Tips to help you live a more peaceful life
- Don’t forget to chew your food well and prefer gentle stewing, steaming, baking, or bain-marie cooking.
- Never stop medical treatment without the advice of your doctor.
- The recipe for happiness is: love, joy, sharing, pleasure, acceptance, guiltlessness, and expressed feelings.
- Between meals, avoid snacking.
- Ideally, eat fresh fruit, preferably outside of meals.
- If we cook healthily, it does not mean that we cook sadly. Pay attention to the atmosphere in which you are going to prepare or eat a dish. Eating with pleasure and in a calm, happy and good mood is recommended.
- Choose the freshest foods possible to take advantage of the vitamins, minerals, and vital and subtle energy they contain. Avoid canned foods as much as possible.
- Avoid any extremism, fundamentalism, or fanaticism that generates frustration.
- Choose cold-pressed oils, virgin and organic.
- Limit or eliminate devitalizing foods such as coffee, tea, alcohol, and sodas.
- Favor (unless contraindicated) whole foods and organically grown foods whenever possible. The extra cost of this healthy diet will be quickly recovered by an increase in your vitality and health.
- Preferably use organic wholemeal sourdough bread (and toast it lightly).
- Opt for mineral water with low mineral content instead of tap water, and avoid drinking too much during meals.
- Avoid grilling your food.
- Don’t fight falling asleep. Listen to your body and go to sleep when you are tired.
- Limit, or even eliminate, cold cuts, dishes with sauce, tripe, offal, game, and shellfish.
- Take advantage of every opportunity to laugh spontaneously and feel good about it, ideally at least once a day.
- Don’t turn on the television when you sit down to eat.
- Practice outdoor physical activity depending on your availability, joint pain (if any), physical abilities, and the weather. Exercise should be fun.
- Eat more eggs, fresh fish, and less red meat.
- Use fresh and raw herbs, depending on personal taste and tolerance.
- Avoid smoking and learn to breathe easier.
- Consider purchasing an essential oil diffuser. Be careful not to ingest essential oils without the advice of an aromatologist.
- Learn to alternate work and rest.
- Encourage voluntary relaxation as much as possible.
- If you want to take charge of your health, consider reading books to help you do so.
How to keep your digestive system healthy: Conclusion
As you may have noticed, there are several techniques and tips for better bowel function.
While there is no miracle recipe, there are many tips you can adapt according to your needs and desires.
Adopting a healthy and natural diet, practicing physical activity, and especially laughing and smiling at life are recommended.