Treadmills are the ideal choice for those who want to slim down. But how to lose weight on the treadmill in a healthy, sustainable way is a different matter.
It might sound like a cliché that you can find in running magazines, fitness books, or devoted articles on health blog sites … But it’s true if you understand all the details.
Before we explain how treadmills can help you in the quest to drop weight, we must discuss 3 principles:
- Maximum safe heart rate,
- Target heart rate, and
- The fat-burning zone
The target heart rate equals 60 to 90% of your maximum safe heart rate.
The fat-burning zone equals 75 to 90% of your target heart rate zone.
Table of Contents
Monitoring your heart rate is essential
Both concepts (the fat-burning zone and the target heart rate) are essential to lose weight and burn fat in a healthy, sustainable way.
This is precisely why you should consider buying a treadmill with an integrated heart rate monitoring system.
Did you know that you can buy a smart treadmill that computes your target heart rate and fat loss zone?
Monitoring your heart rate can be difficult while running outside.
Thus, working on a sturdy treadmill indoors can make all the difference to your weight reduction efforts.
Beginners who merely started running without using these guidelines run practically every day but fail to see any effect or significant change.
They make an effort but don’t seem to lose weight and wonder what they’re doing wrong.
This is why running on treadmills can be highly effective.
Smart treadmills for effective weight loss efforts
Smart treadmills can monitor your target heart rate and your fat-burning zone while you work out by inserting your age and weight in the console before you start your run.
What’s more, these treadmills change the speed and slope of the treadmill automatically, so you stay in your preferred heart-rate zone with no additional trouble.
All you need is a heart rate reading linked to the treadmill and run (a cordless chest strap is one of the most recommended accessories).
Last tip: If you are a treadmill novice, you should focus initially on structure, aerobic and endurance fitness.
After 5 or 6 weeks of preliminary training, you are ready to raise the intensity level and maximize your weight loss potential.
Fitness device with security in mind
The treadmill is an astonishingly convenient device in today’s polluted climate, busy roads, and an increasingly busy lifestyle.
It doesn’t have to be dull, unpleasant, or scary. A treadmill can be a faithful partner waiting to help you make the most out of yourself.
With a sturdy treadmill for heavy persons, you can discover a path to becoming a stronger and more motivated runner safely and conveniently.
Engineers have produced treadmills that plus-size runners before us could have only dreamt of.
Interested? Then you should read our high weight capacity treadmill selection guide.
Now is the time to enhance your health, whether slim, overweight or even obese, and the treadmill is a fantastic way of doing that.
Know the mathematics: How to lose weight on the treadmill
To lose weight through running, you must follow this rule:
While you work out on the treadmill, your heart rate needs to be in your weight loss zone (for at least half an hour).
If you want to compute your weight loss zone, you need to understand your maximum and target heart rate.
This is how you work it out:
- Maximum heart rate for males = 220 – age
- Maximum heart rate for ladies = 226 – age
Once you computed your maximum heart rate, you can compute your target heart rate.
Your target heart rate is a zone between 60% to 90% of your maximum heart rate.
And once you understand your target heart rate, you can compute your fat-burning zone.
Ideally, your fat-burning zone is a zone between 75 to 90% of your target heart rate.
This fat-burning zone, also known as the weight loss zone, should be your target heart rate for an ideal fat loss session on the treadmill.
Suggestion: You can also get to know your maximum heart rate, target heart rate and your weight loss zone by consulting your physician.
Benefits of having a treadmill in your house
- Longing for some peace and unwinding vibes? Get on the treadmill and forget the tension and pressure of everyday life
- You’ll burn additional calories, which will only boost your weight-loss efforts
- Brilliant for letting off steam after a busy day after work or when the kids are finally in bed
- You could use the time to listen to an audiobook or podcast while burning some calories
- A treadmill helps you solve the problem “I want to start running but I’m embarrassed” as it enables you to run in the comfort and privacy of your home
- You could even catch up on an episode of your favorite series, although you might need earphones
- It’s cheaper than an annual gym membership but lasts much longer
- You can increase the incline on your treadmill to make your workout a little more challenging. You’ll burn a lot more calories and shape up your bum (walking uphill is great for the glutes)
- Doesn’t matter what the weatherman says. You can stroll or run regardless of the weather or temperature outside
- You can listen to your favorite music without complaints from the kids or companions
- Need to let it out? You can work out all your frustrations while you’re exercising on the treadmill
- Available throughout the year 24/7 whenever you have a spare 15 or 30 minutes
- No need for fancy gym gear. Just pop on your trainers, get a bottle of water and start
- It’s a marvelous way to wake up in the morning. You might even consume your early morning cup of coffee while warming up on the treadmill
- It isn’t necessary to have massive space to accommodate a treadmill as many treadmills fold up and can easily be put away
How to lose weight on the treadmill? By putting in the effort
There are no shortcuts to weight reduction success.
Remember: Only you can choose to do this. This is the most truthful message we can give you.
Many people do not like running simply because they don’t want to put in the effort.
We want you to be better than that. We want you to be committed without reservation and enjoy your running and weight loss results.
How to lose weight on the treadmill? By putting in the effort!
Well-balanced treadmill running exercises can and will alter your body and your life.
The moment you accept that you have to work at it and embrace this choice, you will begin to enjoy running and all of its advantages.
And when the going gets tough, and you wonder if the treadmill is actually your friend or an enemy, take a deep breath and stick to it.
Concentrate on your running and dominate this fitness machine. You will soon start to experience an incredible feeling of strength and positivity.
You will feel empowered and proud of your achievement.