Knowing how to perform a self-massage is a simple skill to learn which can give you many benefits for the rest of your life.
And do you know which ingredient not only contributes to the success of a massage but also nourishes the skin, makes it breathe and gives it elasticity and softness?
You guessed it, it is the massage oil! Indeed, oils are the most used among all the massage care products.
As a whole, learning how to perform a self-massage on the ears, hands, and feet is easy and will give you lasting benefits if performed regularly. Pairing these self-massage techniques with the right massage oil for your skin and purpose will maximize your relaxation and improve your well-being.
Read on to learn more about massage oil and self-massage techniques.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to perform a self-massage: Oil tips
- 2 Benefits of massage oils
- 3 Self-massage
- 4 How to perform a self-massage: Conclusion
How to perform a self-massage: Oil tips
Choose your massage oil
The choice of massage oil plays an important role in achieving the desired results. Indeed, it must contribute to releasing blockages and tensions by bringing a deep well-being to the person being massaged.
A massage oil must be a pure virgin vegetable oil (such as sunflower, sweet almond or grapeseed oil), extracted by manual or mechanical cold pressing.
It is possible to mix it with an essential oil to realize a massage with scented oil. Some essential oils have an antioxidant function and can therefore play the role of natural preservatives.
Several criteria can be taken into account, but, in general, the choice will depend on the massage, the desired result and the taste of each one.
The smell is often an important parameter of choice, because it must participate in the relaxation of the person massaged and his or her comfort.
Another criterion to take into account is the texture of the oil. In fact, an oil that is too oily, too fluid or too creamy may hinder the proper application of the massage.
Use the massage oil
Massage oil is used in different ways. Indeed, it is possible to apply it directly to the skin without mixing it with other products.
However, depending on the area to be massaged and the objective sought, the masseur can adapt the ingredients of his oil.
Ideally, for its massage oil, one favors a neutral base like a mixture of various vegetable oils which can balance between them. So, for example, we can use sunflower oil with olive oil and sweet almond oil.
Application of massage oil
The application of a massage oil can be summarized in a few steps:
- First, it is necessary to warm up your hands by rubbing them and coating the palm with a little oil.
- Then, apply the oil gradually on the skin’s surface, following the movement prescribed by the massage applied.
Before proceeding to a localized application, the first touch must allow to warm up the area to be massaged. Only then can the real massage begin.
Benefits of massage oils
There are many benefits of massage oils:
- They nourish the skin thanks to the active substances they contain.
- They allow the muscles to relax and unwind by bringing freshness and soothing.
- They help to redraw the silhouette thanks to their purifying action. It is advisable to follow a balanced diet in parallel with the massage, to eliminate excess fatty masses, including cellulite, more quickly.
- Finally, they contribute to the rehydration and firming of the skin.
For more benefits of massage therapy, check out our other article Massage therapy: Benefits and precautions
Practicing self-massage allows you to enjoy the benefits of massage without the need for a professional masseur.
Effective and free, self-massage brings the same virtues as other massages, as long as you learn the basic principles and techniques.
Massaging yourself is an alternative to other touch techniques.
Principle of self-massage
It is a massage technique that consists of massaging oneself. It is a manual approach that aims to provide a real moment of relaxation by relieving the knots that cause physical problems.
The self-massage can practically be done at any time. To get the maximum benefit, it is best to set a regular schedule for self-massage.
It is also recommended to perform the self-massage at least once a week for maximum effect.
Simple self-massage techniques
Self-massage of the ears, hands and feet is easy to perform.
Self-massage of the ears
Self-massage of the ears falls into the category of energizing self-massages.
In practice, this is done as follows:
- Place your fingers as if you were trying to pinch your ears.
- Start at the top and work your way down,
- knead your ears with your fingers until you reach the lobe,
- then repeat in the opposite direction.
Self-massage of the hands
Concerning the hands, they are the most solicited parts of the body on a daily basis. It is therefore normal that they also suffer from tension problems.
Self-massage of the hands aims to remove this knot and relax the palmar muscles.
Here are some simple things to do:
- Place one hand on the back of the other, then squeeze with a sliding motion from wrist to fingertips and back again.
- Continue by massaging each of your fingers and insist on the joints.
- Finish with a self-massage of the wrist and palm using circular movements with your fingers.
Self-massage of the feet
And finally, let’s move on to the feet, which play an equally important role because they support the weight of our body. This is why feelings of fatigue in the lower limbs are often the most common.
Self-massage of the feet can be done very simply:
- Sit down and massage one foot with the other.
- Then grab one of your feet with both hands, one on top and one underneath, and gently massage it.
- Squeeze each of your toes. Then gently stretch them out.
- Go back to your ankles, removing any knots with a circular motion applied with medium pressure.
- Finish with a gentle massage of the arch of the foot.
How to perform a self-massage: Conclusion
Whether it is based on fruits, seeds or other parts of a plant, perfumed or not, the benefits of massage oil on the body are as much physical as psychological.
In addition, the massage oil allows the hands to glide easily and gently over the body.
You don’t have to call in a professional to relax: regular self-massage can help you escape from the daily stress.